Sunday, June 7, 2009

Grocery Store Rant.

Tonight, I made a trip to the grocery store. I needed a few things, like ice cream and nail polish (yes, my grocery store sells nail polish!). I also needed to return a movie at the RedBox. If there are three things I love it is ice cream, nail polish, and a $1 new release! Oh, and chips and salsa. And Paula's Party, which I am watching right now. However, Rosie O'Donnell is a guest and I'm not such a fan, so I may be changing the station soon to a deliriously entertaining Lifetime movie.

But, I digress.


I am home now and I am disturbed. Truly disturbed, not sarcastic disturbed. As I was walking out with my cart full of groceries, two high school aged girls walked in. One of them dropped her sunglasses, and do you know what came loudly spewing forth from her mouth? One of the loudest "f-bombs" I have ever experienced. Just like that. Loudly. In an establishment where mothers regularly bring their small and impressionable children. Loudly. In front of many, many people, simply because she dropped her sunglasses. And have I happened to mention that the word was said loudly? I was shocked and saddened by this. How long has this girl been saying this word in order for it to come out of her mouth so freely and naturally?

You'd hope that's the end of my story. But it's not.

I walked my groceries out to the car and realized that I had forgotten to return the movie. No biggie. I walked in, returned my movie, and as I was walking out, two gentlemen were walking in. I would peg them as about 30 or so. They were apparently carrying on a conversation because as I walked past them, I heard the one guy say (again, loudly!), "It's okay. I'll be the cart b*t*h." WHAT? Clearly, those asterisks are mine. All this within a span of probably 3-4 minutes.

I have no words.

It really made me stop and think, "Do I seriously want to bring children into this world?" A world where my babies could learn expletives from complete strangers who we pass in the supermarket. A world where even though my children might go to a Christian school, they learn at a young age what certain slang words mean for body parts and what a middle finger being held up means.


A world that
was not meant for this.

But as I was pondering all of these things, a verse came to mind. John 16:33 says, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (Emphasis mine.)

Praise Him. I have nothing to fear as long as I take heart and find my peace in Him.

He's got the whole world in His hands.
Now there's one phrase that my children will know.

2 comments:

Tarah said...

So when will these "children" be entering this ugly yet wonderfully beautifully little world we live in?! :)

p.s. I don't blame you for being upset at hearing that. I get annoyed that parents don't teach their children that there are completely inappropriate words to use, let alone completely inappropriate places to use them.

Anne @ Sincerely, Britches said...

Admittedly, those same thoughts have cross the mind of my husband & I before -- "Do we really want to bring children into this world?" That being said, one thing my mom always reminds me of is that "God is still God, and He is still on the throne." Evil is here and we can't escape it, but God is still sovereign and we can teach our young'uns to love Him and follow Him. The rest is in God's hands.
But I completely agree, it's hard even walking through the grocery store sometimes! I don't even like hearing those words -- that isn't what I want coming to my mind in moments of frustration.

In the meantime, keep on keeping on. :)