Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hi. I'm Aunt Rachel. Nice to meet you.

I have yet to be blessed with any biological nieces and nephews. Considering that both my brother and brother-in-law are young college men with no wives to speak of, this is not surprising.

However, about two and a half years ago, a blessing was born. My first "niece". Catherine Margaret was the firstborn to her momma and daddy. Her momma, one of my best girlfriends, Tarah, was my RD in Shatford during my freshman year. Tarah quickly became like a sister to me and we have been close ever since. I think that one of the reasons we love each other so much is because we have the ability to be completely and utterly honest with one another. There was a time where she was so honest with me and I hated it because I knew she was rightI am stubborn and I didn't talk with her for a few months. Can we give the Lord an Amen for people who tell us the truth in His love and another Amen for when we finally get over our stubborn selves to learn that He is always right?

There was another time where I came back to school a few weeks early because I was working at my dorm's front desk. The boy that I had broken up with that summer was there early, too, and it was the hardest thing (at that time) for me to stay away from him. I was stressed and very emotional and Tarah was there for me through the whole blasted encounter with Crazy. That's my really great nickname for him. Crazy. I just made it up. ANYWAY, she had a meeting or something one night, so she called me and told me to get a good book and come over and just take a bath while she was gone. Oh my word, best relaxation ever. Plus, Crazy had no clue where I was, which in hindsight, was the best gift of all! All that to say, Tarah has a way of being the sister I never had.

Anyway, Tarah had to go and get herself married to a most wonderful man and they blessed us all about nine months later with the beautiful Catherine Margaret Auffhammer. I will never forget my roommate running into the bathroom at 6:00 am (I was getting ready for student teaching-- there is never a good reason for being up that early) holding out my phone saying, "It's Ben (Tarah's brother). Tarah's having the baby!" Oh my word. Best day ever. I could barely contain my excitement that day. And that beautiful girl was born and blessed my ever-loving socks right off my body. A few months later, I got to go and love on that baby girl for a few days and since then, I've watched her grow from this...


To this...


Oh, sweet girl, Aunt Rachel loves you so much.

Then, last March, Tarah and James decided to give us all another blessing. Miss Lydia Elaine graced us with her presence and made the world a happier place. Since Tarah has chosen to live so far from Aunt Rachel, Lala and I have not officially met. Still, I could not love that child more. I love hearing stories and seeing pictures. Check out the awesome little dress I got her from Janie and Jack.


Mercy, I have to keep myself from kissing all over this computer screen. "Lala" or "Lati" just turned one. Aren't those some great nicknames? I will get out there one of these days and those girls are gonna be covered in Neutrogena Moisture Shine Lipgloss.

Well, I was informed a few months ago that yes, I was going to become Auntie Rachel for the third (and let's face it, probably not the last) time! I could not have been more thrilled. Then today, Tarah called to tell me what I already knew. I'm gonna be a girl auntie again. Auffhammer Chickie #3 will come to join the fun in August. I will go out to meet her before she grows up if it kills me. Because, make no mistake, it will kill me. I want those girls to know me and love me like I know and love them. I also want to be the cool aunt who always has gum in her styling purse.

Today, while talking to Tarah, my angel girl, Catie, got on the phone to tell Aunt Rachel that she was watching "The Jungle Book" and then told me she loved me. Oh, that warms a sick girl's heart to the core. A few minutes later, she wanted to show Aunt Rachel her boo-boo through the phone.

Y'all. I was so tickled. I wanted nothing more than to see that boo-boo. Soon, precious girl, very soon.

Many hugs and kisses to all my little nieces in New York. Even to the one in your belly, T. However, I will let the girls pass those along to their sister. We may be close, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to kiss your belly. We'll get there someday.

3 comments:

Mrs. Not-so-Domesticated said...

congrats on being an auntie x3! Those are beautiful little girls. She's very blessed.

Lindsey said...

Congrats, isn't being an aunt the best!

Tarah said...

thanks.

I think I better get you some better pictures of the girls, though.