This will be a rather quick and random post, but I would like to share a few things.
First off, meet my new baby:
This beautiful Canon PowerShot, which I have named Frank (I tend to name my things, don't ask), is my new buddy. My delightful parents gifted me with Frank as an early birthday present. Hopefully, you will see some good things come from Frank and I. I also checked out Digital Photography for Dummies from the library and hope to come away with some good tips. Let us also hope that Frank is more compatible with my computer so that I can update you with some pictures.
I also would like to, once again, sing the praises of the library. I couldn't love it more. I recently discovered the glory that is the Main Library of Cincinnati. This is the library that is downtown. Oh, mercy. It is a piece of heaven for us book lovers. I just went today. I checked out the first season of Army Wives and it is eight kinds of wonderful. I am almost finished with disc 1. Oh, how I love summers off of teaching.
I have been sitting here enjoying the company of my new army friends while folding the scads of laundry that have been piling up in our room. Here's the deal about laundry: I love it. All of it. I don't mind a single bit, other than running down to the basement for all of the loads. What is bad about clean laundry? NOTHING, I tell you, NOTHING!
I also just finished a chocolate dipped MckAroon. Oh my delicious. I made these for the group of friends that came over last night to watch the parade drive down our street (another post, another time) and everyone gave them a thumbs up. This is one cookie that I will make again.
And before I say goodbye, I have a question for you. Please listen carefully, because I need your help. This is clearly a very important question.
What are your favorite authors/books?
I am a reading fanatic. I go through books in a day or so. Reading is my favorite pasttime and I have some favorite authors, but when I find an author, I tend to go a little nuts and read ALL of their books as fast as possible. This has happened with Mary Higgins Clark, her daughter, Carol Higgins Clark, and Harlan Coben, along with some others.
I would love for you to comment and let me know who your favorite authors are or even what your favorite books are. I would love to know some reading interests that we have in common! I would also really enjoy finding some new authors to explore.
But before you go all gung-ho (and I'm hoping you will!), please read this statement: I do not care for historical fiction of any kind. I know, hate me if you must, but this is one genre that I cannot get myself into. However, before you verbally beat me to death for this, please understand that the only historical fiction that I have ever truly enjoyed is that by Francine Rivers. If you have not read Redeeming Love, go out and BUY this book. I promise that you will not be disappointed, even if you are crazy like me and don't care for historical literature.
On that note, I've gotta go switch the Army Wives disc. Can't wait to hear from you all.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Authors and Laundry and MckAroons, oh my!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_are_you_a_newlywed
Hahaha
Okay, the books.
Nicholas Sparks. I have read everything he's ever written and he is always great. His best- The Notebook (duh), The Guardian, and A Walk to Remember.
Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series is AMAZING. It starts with "The Eyre Affair," and if you like literature you will love this.
Michael Crichton - I know, he's a little sciency, but he's FABULOUS. My favorite was Timeline, with State of Fear coming in second.
Great scary pick - Dean Koontz's "Watchers"
Marriage - "The 5 Love Languages" (Chapman) and "Sheet Music" (Leman). Leman also wrote "Sex begins in the Kitchen," which I'd like to read someday.
That's it for now. :)
Anything by Ted Dekker, but especially The Circle Series.
Pride and Prejudice is my favorite, but I don't know if that's too historical??
This summer I read Jane Eyre for the first time and really loved it by the end.
Hey Rachel -
Two things - first, your local librarian should be trained in giving you readalike (another author you might enjoy) - part of their job, and they are generally pretty good at it, or can at least show you some great resources.
Second, try www.readalike.org. This website (aggregated by library students) allows one to single out a liked author/book for particular characteristics and find similar books suggestions, complete with a short synopsis and the characteristics that make it similar. I believe they have Clark on there.
You're so cute.
I was going to recommend Ted Dekker too! I just discovered him this year. It is a little out there... maybe a tame Frank Perreti? But I loved loved loved the Circle Trilogy.
I've heard Jen Lancaster mentioned a lot recently. I haven't read anything by her, but a lot of the blogs I read recommend her.
And I'm afraid most of my favorite books fall into the historical fiction category.
Oh, and if you like young adult books... you have to read the 21 Balloons.
You could always re-read Crime and Punishment.... LOL
and random... the word verification right now is "surinuff" Say it out loud... I'm cracking up
I don't get to read many novels these days, but I enjoyed the Karen Kingsbury series about the Baxter family. It got a bit predictable by the 6th (out of 15) book, but I couldn't help but finish the series.
Other than that...I'm a BIG Elisabeth Elliot fan..you know that. I can sit and read a chapter and then put it down and mull on those thoughts for days. you can't do that with novels...they practically BEG to be finished in one sitting and I just don't have time for that. :) (although, the mention of REDEEMING LOVE makes me want to pull my copy out and dust it off.)
Love you and miss you friend.
t.
I love Beverly Lewis Amish series and I also enjoy Karen Kingsbury. I just finished the second book in the Above the Line Series called "Take Two." It was a great book!!
See ya soon!
Karen Kingsbury & Beverly Lewis write great Christian fiction. Many series so make sure you read them in order (unless that's not a big deal to you!).
You also might check out Kristin Billerbeck & Sophie Kinsella -- great "girly" books. (also some series that you should read in order!)
The Harry Potter books are awesome. So is the Twilight series.
My mind is blank...some of my favorite books I've read recently: Memoirs of a Geisha, Glass Castle, and currently trying to get through Desiring God (for like the 3rd time)--LOVE John Piper.
This is a random list I know.
Can't stand Sue Monk Kidd, Jodi Picolt or Nicholas Sparks--sorry don't hate me. I forced myself to finish Kim Edward's "The memory keepers daughter". I feel those kind of authors try to hard. I feel a story should come out naturally not just forced out cheesy stuff. Maybe I'm just not a fiction book person...
Post a Comment